What We Do
At Goldman Sachs, our Engineers don’t just make things – we make things possible. Change the world by connecting people and capital with ideas. Solve the most challenging and pressing engineering problems for our clients. Join our engineering teams that build massively scalable software and systems, architect low latency infrastructure solutions, proactively guard against cyber threats, and leverage machine learning alongside financial engineering to continuously turn data into action. Create new businesses, transform finance, and explore a world of opportunity at the speed of markets.
Engineering, which is comprised of our Technology Division and global strategists groups, is at the critical center of our business, and our dynamic environment requires innovative strategic thinking and immediate, real solutions. Want to push the limit of digital possibilities? Start here.
Who We Look For
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment.
Technology is at the heart of our multi-billion dollar business. Our engineers develop lowlatency, scalable, and resilient solutions which drive global equities sales and trading at
The equity synthetics business in SecDiv offers clients synthetic exposure to underlying equities. Synthetic exposure is desirable, for example, if direct exposure in the form of shares cannot be taken.
The front-office Tech team supporting this business puts special emphasis on the ability to handle the additional complexity introduced by the derivative nature of synthetic contracts, as every synthetic contract maintains a miniature book of many lots, which are open and closed during frequent updates of the contract.
In this team, we are creating a new effort to process volume at a commercially significant higher level. Our success is linked with our ability to expand the franchise to include significantly more quant funds. We want to remove technical obstacles that lead to operational overhead when derivative life-cycle events occur, and stream-line the number and format of trade events as seen by clients and in federation systems.
Specifically, we are looking at aspects of the SecDB trade & tradable model for equity synthetics that could be re-engineered more efficiently. Moving lot matching logic and tradable assembly out of SecDB into other common languages and databases is on the table. An eventual but compressed trace of trade events, as well as positions for risk and PNL will remain in SecDB.
We want this project to produce innovative solutions quickly, and for this reason it is modularly defined to only include equity synthetics. In order to ensure a safe and managed transition to a more efficient representation of life-cycle events down-stream, we plan to create a new equity synthetic tradable. These goals determine the following requirements for the role.
• Create a new effort to process volume at a commercially significant higher level
• Remove technical obstacles that lead to operational overhead when derivative life-cycle events occur
• Stream-line the number and format of trade events as seen by clients and in federation systems
• Must have significant experience implementing tradables in Slang.
• Must be fluent in accounting and finance to a degree that understanding the economics of an equity swap, including its funding, is natural.
• Must have experience or shown interest in current technologies like Python (Pandas, SQLAlchemy, Jupyter), hybrid RDBMS (in-memory/on-disk, sharding), new IDEs (IntelliJ, JSI).
• Must be familiar with RDBMS and SQL.
• Able to work with teams in different areas, including desk strats and operations.
• Comfortable to take on a substantial role in a small team.
• Comfortable to wear many hats and play many roles (we are like a small start-up).
• Comfortable to help refine the mission of our team as we innovate.
• Must have an eye for commercial opportunities arising out of our core mandate (for example, could access to an RDBMS be scaled horizontally and properly shared be offered to clients? If hosted in the cloud?)
• In addition to significant experience with SecDB, has actually owned price or trade tests for SecDB tradables.
• Knowledgeable about the many up-stream/down-stream systems we interface with.
• Experience in languages other than Slang and Python (Java, Scala).
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.