Unix Engineering is a global team that architects and manages the Linux, Virtualization, and Server Hardware computing platform at Goldman Sachs.
The Unix engineering team works closely with application developers and strategists to build and deploy technology solutions at Goldman Sachs. The team currently supports an internal cloud platform, is developing solutions for deploying applications on public cloud offerings, and is releasing a next-generation compute platform.
The Server Hardware Engineering discipline at Goldman spans our private and public clouds. Knowledge built from in-house evaluation of new platforms is used to make purchasing decisions spanning both private and public clouds. We work closely with major CPU, Network and Storage manufacturers as well as Tier 1 server vendors to evolve our underlying platform.
HOW YOU WILL FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL
• Collaborate with business clients, internal engineering teams and our vendors to define and refine solutions that meet business requirements
• Assist with the evaluation and certification of new server hardware platforms primarily focused on performance benchmarking and supportability
• Architectural consultation as well as third level hardware systems support across various Operating Systems
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Deep understanding of the x86 CPU and server vendor ecosystem - Intel, AMD, Dell, HPE, Lenovo, Cisco, OCP and tier 3 vendors
• Expert in remote management of x86 hardware platforms through baseboard management controllers (BMC), IPMI, Redfish, and/or vendor proprietary implementations such as iLO, iDRAC, XClarity or IMC
• Experience with hardware failure alerting and performance telemetry
• Installation and wide scale deployment experience with at least one major operating system - Linux (Red Hat, Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.), Windows and/or VMware ESX
• Understanding of data center power, cooling and network considerations
• Working knowledge of microbenchmarking tools such as Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation's SPECpower, SPECjbb, and SPEC CPU, Phoronix Test Suite, fio, netperf, LMbench, Bench++, uperf, stream, SciMark, and hackbench
• Proven track record of managing vendor relationships and providing feedback for future product development
• Experience with Linux OS user space, kernel and device drivers
• Working knowledge of public cloud vendors and their compute offerings
• Low level C and x86 assembly programming and performance optimization compilers and libraries
• Experience with Hyper-Converged Infrastructure solutions - VMware vSAN, Nutanix, and Dell VxRail
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2020. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity